Cabinet approves measures to mitigate impending power shortage
The Cabinet of Ministers has approved a proposal of measures to mitigate the impending power shortage in the country.
The Cabinet has taken the following decisions with immediate effect considering the proposals submitted by the Minister of Electricity and Power with the objective of securing and safeguarding power requirements in Sri Lanka.
- Construction of a power plant unit with a capacity of 300×2 of mega watt as an extension of Norachcholei Coal Power Plant.
- Installation of an LNG (bi –sectorial natural gas plant) with a capacity of 300 maga watt as a joint venture with Ceylon Electricity Board and India / Japan at Kerawalapitiya
- Acceleration of the construction activities of LNG (bi –sectorial natural gas plant) with a capacity of 300 maga watt proposed to be constructed in the Kerawalapitiya area under the funds of the Asian Development Bank
- Acceleration of the construction of hydro – electricity plants and regeneration power projects that are under construction.
- Implementation of projects agreed to be funded by the government of India for solar power generation hastily with the loan grant of US dollars 100 million.