Met Dep. warns of severe lightning and rain
The Department of Meteorology has warned of severe lightning and thundershowers in some parts of the Island today.
The Department said, thundershowers accompanied by severe lightning are likely to occur in several places of the Western, Sabaragamuwa provinces, Galle and Matara districts during the evening or night.
“Temporarily strong gusty winds up to 70-80 kmph also possible during thundershowers.”
“Fairly heavy showers about 50-75mm are likely at some places,” Department of Meteorology said.
The Department of Meteorology advises the public to;
- Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
- Avoid open areas such as paddy fields, tea plantations and open water bodies during thunderstorms.
- Avoid using wired telephones and connected electric appliances during thunderstorms.
- Avoid using open vehicles, such as bicycles, tractors and boats etc.
- Beware of fallen trees and power lines.
- For emergency assistance contact the local disaster management authorities.