Our favourite looks from the CFDA Awards 2019
By Archana Heenpella
An annual event celebrating the strides and highs of the fashion industry, the CFDA Awards – a.k.a. the Oscars of the fashion world – brings together some of the fiercest outfits, outside the Met Gala, to the glitzy red carpet.
The effort of the Council of Fashion Designers of America, this year’s event took place earlier this month. As expected, attendees did better than their Sunday-best. Jennifer Lopez, in fact, walked away with the highly prestigious Fashion Icon award, recognised, after many years, for her daring and dazzling red carpet looks (we’re still not over her instantly iconic Versace dress at the Grammys in 2004).
Other winners that night include Barbie herself (for the Directors Tribute), Rick Owens (Menswear Designer), Sarah Burton of Alexander McQueen (International Award), Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen (Accessories Designer) of The Row, and Brandon Maxwell (Womenswear Designer), to name some of the most notable.
More exciting than that, however, were the designs from that night. Here’s a look at some of our favourites looks!
1. Editor-at-large of the fashion editorial powerhouse, Vogue, itself, Hamish Bowles stunned in a daring and all too characteristic look from Alexander McQueen designer, Sarah Burton.
2. A loose and deceptively unstructured dress, British-Sudanese model, Alek Wek, was all smiles at the CFDA Awards in a silky, black design courtesy of designer Rosie Assoulin. A totally unapologetic and fierce look.
3. Despite being known for her movies, Amber Valletta’s claim to fame stemmed from her prolific talent as a runway model, entering the scene beside the likes of Kate Moss. Modelling for Versace during the reign of Gianni Versace himself, she is a formidable fashionista, despite being seriously underrated. The 13-time Vogue cover girl wore an Alexander McQueen suit at the CFDA and was the very definition of sleek sophistication.
4. Olivia Palermo stunned in a vintage Valentino dress that could have easily passed off as a slightly unconventional bridal dress. With silvery lace draping over the front and back of this silky gown, the American entrepreneur channelled a modern-day Venus at the awards.
5. A little safe, but very stunning, Shailene Woodley showed up at the prestigious award show in an LBD-inspired Jonathan Simkhai number that showed off her toned legs. Paired with her bright makeup, this look was an easy favourite.
6. While Laura Harrier certainly wasn’t the best-dressed that evening, her red Khaite dress was a sight for sore eyes. Paired with her red lip and loose chocolate tresses, the “Spider-Man: Homecoming” actress made a memorable, red carpet appearance.
7. The woman who can do no wrong, supermodel Bella Hadid showed up at the CFDA awards in Michael Kors Collection and Lorraine Schwartz jewellery. Her form-fitting dress and accompanying HMU made her dazzle more so than usual.
8. Canadian TV personality, actor, and chef, Antoni Porowski made a colourful statement with his rainbow-hued shirt and pants from luxury line Sies Marjan. Paired with his unassuming white sneakers, Porowski looked look book-ready for a streetwear catalogue.
9. Bee Carrozzini, A.K.A. (THE) ANNA WINTOUR’s daughter, stunned in an equally flirty and elegant floral number and Tabitha Simmons shoes. The most amazing part? This was an outfit she re-wore merely 48 hours after she wore it for a relatively high-profile wedding. Do we have a Kate Middleton-esque fashionista in the making?
10. Model Ayesha Sesay also showed up in a structured black dress by Christopher John Rogers, featuring a ruched bodice, flouncy frills, and tie-up straps – a fairy-tale dress made for villains.
11. The night’s biggest winner, J-Lo, showed up in possibly one of her safest runway looks to date – a two-piece, fiery, custom-made Ralph Lauren design. While we weren’t the biggest fans of her look that night, it’s impossible not to mention the winner of one of the most prestigious awards doled out by the CFDA this year.
12. Daring, original, and utterly inspiring was Gigi Hadid’s Louis Vuitton look that night. Sporting a design from the brand’s menswear designer, Virgil Abloh, the seemingly tri-piece suit was a far cry in terms of contrast from her multi-coloured Versace outfit at last year’s awards.
13. Resplendent in lilac-grey, the model turned heads with one of the boldest looks that evening. Paired with her loose hair, the model looked ready for battle – in nothing less than Louis Vuitton, of course.