SL Tennis Nationals: Can Sharmal go for five?
Women’s segment’s last eight picked
Sharmal Dissanayake will be all out to have a five-in-a-row of men’s singles Nationals titles this time. Will his Sri Lanka Davis Cup teammates Yasitha de Silva or Sankha Atukorale upset his plans? Or could the young Chathurya Nilaweera create an upset or two this time?
The fourth day of the 2020 Sri Lanka Tennis Nationals were continued at the Sri Lanka Tennis Nationals (SLTA) hard courts in Colombo yesterday (12), with three of the men’s singles semi-finalists and all eight quarter-finalists of the women’s singles declared.
Meanwhile in women’s, favourites Rukshika Wijesuriya (quit the tournament midway due to a personal commitment) and Neyara Weerawansa are already out, and Anika Seneviratne is tipped to repeat her 2018 title-winning performance.
Men’s singles semi-final line-up, from today (13):
- Yasitha de Silva vs. Chathurya Nilaweera
- Sharmal Dissanayake vs. winner of the quarter-final between Sankha Atukorale vs. Savith Weerasinghe
Quarter-finals on Tuesday (12):
- Sharmal Dissanayake beat Kavisha Ratnayake 6/2, 6/3
- Yasitha de Silva beat Dilvan Herath 6/2, 6/1
- Chathurya Nilaweera beat Vibuda Wijebandara 7/6 (7/4), 7/6 (7/3)
- Savith Weerasinghe beat Ruwan Fernando 6/2, 6/0
- Sankha Atukorale beat Rukmal Cooray 6/3, 4/6, 10/4
Women’s singles third round:
- Oneli Perera beat Neyara Weerawansa 4/6, 6/3, 10/5
- Nishka Vivekanandan beat Alana Seneviratne 6/4, 4/6, 10/7
- Anika Seneviratne vs. Tuvini de Alwis
- Savini Jayasuriya vs. Oneli Perera
- Hasali Gajaba vs. Vonara de Alwis
- Janali Manamperi vs. Nishka Vivekanandan
Oneli Perera in action yesterday (12)
Photos by Ishan Wanniarachchi