SLC T20 League: Galle eye place in finals
Team Galle, led by Suranga Lakmal, are eying for an outside chance of qualifying for Sunday’s final of this year’s SLC T20 League when the tournament’s third-round is held at the Pallekele International Stadium in Kandy on Wednesday and Thursday, 29 and 30 August.
Galle needed to record wins in both their games in Kandy with their last game is scheduled for Thursday.
In the meantime they expected Team Dambulla to lose their two games in the Kandy leg of the tournament. Dambulla were to play against Colombo on Thursday under lights after the Galle vs. Kandy game, scheduled for Thursday afternoon.
The four-team tournament saw three rounds taking place in Colombo, Dambulla and Kandy before the September 2 final, to be played between the two table-topping sides of the league phase, under lights at R. Premadasa.
Public are allowed to enter free of charge for all games. The matches are shown live on Channel Eye
Current Points Table –
* After Wednesday’s two matches, Colombo, under Dinesh Chandimal, comforts led the points table with four wins out of five (8 points) with a Net Run Rate (NRR) of +1.151.
* Dambulla held the second-place with three wins out of five (6 points) to have a NRR of +0.723.
* Galle were placed third with two wins out of five games (4 points) and a NRR of -1.772.
* Kandy have won only one out their five matches (2 points) to have a NRR of only -0.04.
Round-3 Results – In Kandy on Wednesday, 29 August, 2018–
Galle beat Dambulla by 38 runs:
It was pacie Kasun Rajitha’s impressive bowling that paved the way for Galle to defend their modest 163 and record an important win on Wednesday. He took the vital wickets of Danushka Gunathilaka and Ashan Priyanjan.
Galle (won the toss) 163/8 in 20 overs (Kusal Mendis 58 in 32 balls, Angelo Perera 34 in 32 balls, Jehan Daniel 24 n.o. in 11 balls; Amila Aponso 3/22 in 4 overs)
Dambulla 125/9 in 20 overs (Danushka Gunathilaka 73 in 58 balls; Kasun Rajitha 4/28 in 4 overs, Sahan Arachchige 2/32)
Kandy beat Colombo by 7 wickets:
A 118-run stand for the third-wicket by opener Kusal Perera and Dasun Shanaka, after Lahiru Thirimanne and Angelo Mathews were sent back cheaply for a total of 30 runs, guided Kandy to their first win in the tournament.
Colombo (won the toss) 165/7 in 20 overs (Avishka Fernando 54 in 35 balls, Priyamal Perera 30 in 26 balls, Mahela Udawatte 22 in 26 balls; Malinda Pushpakumara 2/25 in 4 overs, Lasith Malinga 1/37 in 4 overs)
Kandy 168/3 in 17.3 overs (Kusal Perera 84 in 45 balls, Dasun Shanaka 60 n.o. in 29 balls; Shehan Jayasuriya 2/27 in 4 overs).
* The picture shows Sahan Arachchige bowling for Galle in their match against Dambulla on Thursday, 29 August. Galle won the match by 38 runs.