Rev. Cyril Fernando records eight-hour statement at CID for second day
a year ago
National Catholic Social Communication Centre Director Rev. Fr .Cyril Gamini Fernando yesterday (16) appeared before the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) for the second consecutive day to record his statement, which took roughly eight hours, with regard to the complaint lodged by State Intelligence Service (SIS) Director Maj. Gen. Suresh Sallay, against Fernando. The complaint had been regarding certain allegations made about Sallay’s involvement in the Easter Sunday attacks during an online conference. Fernando had also appeared before the CID to record a statement on Monday (15), after which he had said: “The remarks I made during that conference are based entirely on the final report of the Presidential Commission of Inquiry (PCoI) and the Parliamentary Select Committee (PSC) that investigated the Easter Sunday terror attacks. Those two reports are available to the public. The President handed over the PCoI report to the Attorney General (AG). The other report has been submitted to Parliament.” Speaking further, he said that it was the duty of the AG to implement the recommendations contained in the report prepared by the PCoI. “The AG has the responsibility to implement those recommendations. He has to act more responsibly. He has been entrusted with the task of implementing those reports, but he has hardly implemented them. Only a few of such recommendations have been implemented.” He further said that if the recommendations of such reports are implemented, it is possible to find out the truth behind the Easter Sunday terror attacks. “Relevant authorities, including the CID, should work to uncover those facts. That is not our role. The relevant institutions should do their job.” The complaint in question was filed by Sallay on 25 October against Fernando and others who attended a recent online forum, requesting an investigation into an allegation made against him during the said forum that the National Thowheeth Jama’ath (NTJ) terror group, which was behind the Easter Sunday terror attacks on 21 April 2019, was supported by the intelligence services, including him (Sallay) in his capacity as then Directorate of Military Intelligence (DMI) Director.