brand logo

HIV infections spike among youth

02 Dec 2021

BY Buddhika Samaraweera The National Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD) and Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (AIDS) Control Programme has pointed out the need for the provision of proper sex education, citing the significant increase in the infection of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) among youth between the ages of 15 and 24 years over the past five years. The National STD and AIDS Control Programme Director Dr. Rasanjalee Hettiarachchi, speaking to TV Derana yesterday (1) said: “According to our statistics, the infection of HIV among the youths between the ages of 15 and 24 years has increased in the last five years. Therefore, it is vital that the youth be provided proper sex education.” According to the website of the National Control Programme, 363 individuals have been diagnosed with HIV in 2020, and 36 of them were between the ages of 15 and 24 years. In addition, there were 148 reported HIV infections in the first two quarters of 2021, including 25 persons between the ages of 15 and 24 years. Dr. Hettiarachchi also said that there are currently about 3,700 people living with HIV in the country. She noted that most of them were males. However, she added that the HIV-infected individuals have not been referred for treatments properly, which has now become a serious issue. “Currently, only 60% of the people living with HIV in the country are referred for treatment. The remaining 40% are untreated in society, perhaps unaware that they have contracted HIV,” she noted. During the year 2020 and the first two quarters of 2021, 52 and 19 AIDS-related deaths have been reported, respectively. Those who wish to get tested for HIV can make an appointment via www.know4sure.lk. In addition, more information can be obtained through the telephone numbers 070 3633533 and 011 2667163 and through www.aidscontrol.gov.lk. The National STD and AIDS Control Programme is located at Number 29, De Saram Place, Colombo 10.

Kapruka

Discover Kapruka, the leading online shopping platform in Sri Lanka, where you can conveniently send Gifts and Flowers to your loved ones for any event. Explore a wide range of popular Shopping Categories on Kapruka, including Toys, Groceries, Electronics, Birthday Cakes, Fruits, Chocolates, Automobile, Mother and Baby Products, Clothing, and Fashion. Additionally, Kapruka offers unique online services like Money Remittance, Astrology, Medicine Delivery, and access to over 700 Top Brands. Also If you’re interested in selling with Kapruka, Partner Central by Kapruka is the best solution to start with. Moreover, through Kapruka Global Shop, you can also enjoy the convenience of purchasing products from renowned platforms like Amazon and eBay and have them delivered to Sri Lanka.Send love straight to their heart this Valentine's with our thoughtful gifts!

Discover Kapruka, the leading online shopping platform in Sri Lanka, where you can conveniently send Gifts and Flowers to your loved ones for any event. Explore a wide range of popular Shopping Categories on Kapruka, including Toys, Groceries, Electronics, Birthday Cakes, Fruits, Chocolates, Automobile, Mother and Baby Products, Clothing, and Fashion. Additionally, Kapruka offers unique online services like Money Remittance, Astrology, Medicine Delivery, and access to over 700 Top Brands. Also If you’re interested in selling with Kapruka, Partner Central by Kapruka is the best solution to start with. Moreover, through Kapruka Global Shop, you can also enjoy the convenience of purchasing products from renowned platforms like Amazon and eBay and have them delivered to Sri Lanka.Send love straight to their heart this Valentine's with our thoughtful gifts!


More News..