brand logo

The final moments of Andrew Symonds’ car crash

8 months ago

Share on

  • What was he doing driving late at night on Hervey Range Road?  
New details have emerged about the final few hours before Andrew Symonds’ death after the Aussie cricket great was killed in a car accident last Saturday (14) night. The 46-year-old died when his car left the road and rolled in Hervey Range, about 50 km from Townsville in northern Queensland. Symonds reportedly went fishing on the day of his death before stopping in at the Brothers Leagues Club in Kirwan on Saturday afternoon. Brothers Leagues Club Chief Executive Officer Justin Wilkins had told The Daily Mail Australia that Symonds didn’t drink much while he was at the venue before he left around 8 p.m. Puzzling for family “I’d say he spent the morning fishing before he got to the pub,” Wilkins said. “He stayed there until about 8 p.m., and then he left. It’s really sad… He was a top bloke and he’ll be missed.” As the Editor of Yahoo Sports Sam Goodwin revealed yesterday (18), Symonds reportedly had then gone home to pick up his two pet dogs, before the fatal crash around 11 p.m. His devastated family are searching for answers about what Symonds was doing driving late at night on Hervey Range Road. ‘We just don’t know’ The cricket great’s home is reportedly a two-minute drive from the club in Kirwan, while the crash occurred about 15 minutes west of Kirwan. According to some other reports, Symonds was on his way back to his house from a mystery location when he crashed. “We just don’t know,” his sister Louise told The Daily Mail. Garry Clark, a local in the area, was with Symonds at Brothers Leagues Club on the Friday (13) night before his death. “I shook his hand and had a chat,” Clark said. “He was teasing me because his team the Broncos just beat my team Manly that night and we were having a laugh about it. “I am in shock. What happened keeps popping into my head.” Two dogs refused to leave their master On Sunday (15), a witness had told The Courier Mail in Australia that Louise had found Symonds still in the car with two blue heelers refusing to leave his side. “One of them was very sensitive and didn’t want to leave him,” she said. “It would just growl at you every time we tried to move him or go near him. My partner tried to get (Symonds) out of the car, to put him on to his back. He was unconscious, not responsive, and had no pulse.” The most laid back person Symonds’ wife Laura has since spoken of her devastation, not only for herself but the couple’s young children, Chloe and Billy. “We are still in shock,” she told The Courier Mail. “I’m just thinking of the two kids. He was such a big person and there is just so much of him in his kids.” Laura said her husband was “the most laid back person”. Symonds and wife had separated? “Nothing stressed him out. He was an extremely chilled operator. So practical,” she said. “He was never good with his phone but he always had time for everyone.” According to The Daily Mail, Symonds and Laura had recently separated. Laura, Chloe, and Billy were in Sydney at the time of Symonds’ death and flew to Queensland after the tragic news.