PM commends Trump's successful operation against ISIS
3 years ago
Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe today commended U.S President Donald Trump's successful operation which led to the death of ISIS leader Abu bakr al-baghdadi. Wickremesinghe who took to his twitter handle today said the successful operation led by the USA "has made the world a safer place". The Premier recalled the ISIS strike on Sri Lanka which claimed 277 lives and has been creating fear and terror around the world. President Donald Trump announced Sunday morning in a televised address at the White House that the "world's number one terrorist leader" was dead, CNN reports stated.
ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi "blew himself up" when cornered by US forces who conducted a daring, two-hour nighttime raid on his compound in northern Syria, Trump said, providing a detailed account of the mission.
"Last night was a great night for the United States and for the world. A brutal killer, one who has caused so much hardship and death, has violently been eliminated," he added.
Baghdadi's death marks the end of a years-long hunt to find one of the most wanted terrorists in the world and the man who declared a so-called Islamic caliphate in Iraq and Syria in 2014.
It was the most significant announcement of the death of a terror leader since President Barack Obama revealed al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden had been killed by US Navy Seals in a dramatic late night address in May 2011.
I congratulate President Trump on the successful operation in the fight against terror. This would undoubtedly cause a set back to the ISIS group and help make the world a safer place. pic.twitter.com/trI0KNZ56o— Ranil Wickremesinghe (@RW_UNP) October 28, 2019