TikTok makeup trends you have to try
2 years ago
By Mahika Panditha As we all know, TikTok has been blowing up over the past few months. In fact, I think it has become one of the biggest social media platforms out there, creating stars like Addison Rae, Charli D’Amelio, and many more. It’s way too easy to spend hours simply scrolling through the app without even realising where the time went; I am not going to lie, I have done this and slept at the most absurd hours. The app is something similar to a rabbit hole, if you will. Despite this, TikTok is home to many viral dance moves and viral trends. You could make a video and simply go viral yourself! It is absolutely crazy how wild TikTok has become, so much so that even brands have made their own accounts for marketing. The best thing about the app is that it has avenues for basically any industry you can think of. It just so happens that there are some viral makeup trends that have blown up on TikTok, only to make their way into the real world. Here are some of the most popular ones that you can try and some that I have tried too!
- Non-crease foundation – this one is apparently super popular. I don’t even have the TikTok app but I somehow came across it on Instagram so I thought, hey, why not? The trick is to apply moisturiser first and then a translucent powder. This would be followed by a setting spray and a primer so that your foundation applies on smoothly without any issues. I usually do not use a setting spray so I was a bit sceptical. However, let me tell you, on a hot Colombo day, this worked so well. My medium-coverage foundation stayed on from 11 a.m. till I got home at 4 p.m. and took it off. There were no issues and I highly recommend this! I would advise not packing on too much foundation though.
- Facelift concealer – concealer is a godsend sometimes. This trend has actually been debated because the whole purpose behind it is to recreate Bella Hadid’s foxy eye appearance, which takes away from the teen’s natural beauty. However, this is great for when you have not slept enough the night before and so need a small pick me up. Apply some concealer in an upward motion on the corners of your eyes and mouth, and around the lips too if you want, to give your face a facelift as the title suggests. Following this, you proceed to bake, which will pull your features up. Like I said, it’s great for a pick me up but not something I would recommend on an everyday basis, especially considering the fact that it could make you feel like you need to have this specific face shape. You are beautiful in your own way; enhance your features, do not dull them down!
- Hooded eyes eyeliner – are you a winged eyeliner type of person or a no eyeliner type of person? If you are a winged eyeliner type of person, this one’s for you; well, if you have hooded eyes at least. While this is no issue whatsoever, you may have noticed that the eyeliner kind of smudges above your eyelid sometimes. Well, we can stop that with this little TikTok trend. Get ready for some flawless liner! What you have to do is draw a line of whatever length you like from the outer corner of your eyes, then connect that with a line above it, and form an arrow-type shape. This lessens the amount of product on your lid and helps to avoid any smudging!
- Heated eyelash curler – this is one of my favourite beauty hacks! If you find your eyelashes kind of sagging or looking lazy, this is going to work great. Before I get into it though, a small disclaimer: Do not use the eyelash curler at full heat because it will damage your eyelashes and might even make them more prone to falling off. So what you do is, take a hairdryer and heat your eyelash curler up for about 30-40 seconds. Let it cool down and when using it, hold it on your eyelashes for about 20 seconds. You will instantly notice the automatic lash lift. I would recommend applying an eyelash primer if you have one, but if you don’t, try a clear gel followed by your normal mascara.
- Lip filler hack – sometimes you could be in the mood for a more plump set of lips, and this is how to get it. Use your lip liner and draw over the cupid’s bow, and of course all over your lip. Then, do the same with your lipstick or lip gloss. This will create a fuller look and it is an easy way to achieve it. You can clean up the shape with a Q-tip or with your finger if you want. Try this out and make sure to use a good lip liner that doesn’t fade because it is what will hold the shape.
- Soap bar brows – this sounds weird but it is actually pretty normal! Eyebrows are such a prominent feature of the face and are different for everyone. However, if you are looking to get that natural but neat look, this is a great hack to achieve that. If you have an old mascara bottle, take the spoolie out and wash it. Make sure it is clean. And then, get a clear soap bar and run the dry spoolie across it once or drive it so the soap sticks to it. Following this, all you have to do is brush your eyebrows up, and there you have it – soap bar brows!