brand logo
Fisheries industry: Are labour shortages driving mechanical ‘madel’ fishing?

Fisheries industry: Are labour shortages driving mechanical ‘madel’ fishing?

15 Feb 2026 | By Maheesha Mudugamuwa



  • Mechanised coastal fishing practice is destructive and is outlawed: Govt.
  • Users bemoan dwindling manpower, loss of livelihood


The Ministry of Fisheries, Aquatic and Ocean Resources has warned fishermen protesting against the Government’s ban on the use of tractor-mounted winches for ‘madel’ (seine net) fishing that the restriction will not be lifted under any circumstances, as the practice has been proven to cause serious damage to marine resources. 

While expressing willingness to engage in dialogue, authorities stress that environmental protection cannot be compromised to accommodate demands that threaten coastal ecosystems.

When contacted, Ministry of Fisheries, Aquatic and Ocean Resources Secretary Dr. B.K. Kolita Kamal Jinadasa said that although nearly 900 fishermen were engaged in seine fishing across the country, only around 300 were protesting against the ban.

“The rest are happy with the decision as the practice [of mechanised ‘madel’ fishing] affects them negatively; therefore, we are ready to hold discussions, but the ban will not be lifted,” he said, indicating that a majority of fishermen recognised the harmful impacts of mechanised hauling. 


Govt. stands firm on ban


Responding to questions on whether the Government planned to amend existing laws related to seine fishing, the Secretary said that amendments to the Fisheries and Aquatic Resources Act were already underway and were before the Attorney General’s Department at present.

“There is no point in changing laws through minutes. Since the act is currently in the process of being amended, there won’t be ad hoc changes for the time being. Once procedure has been followed, the new bill will be submitted to Parliament for approval,” he said.

The satyagraha campaign launched by a group of fishermen demanding the lifting of the Government’s ban on the use of tractor-mounted winches for ‘madel’ fishing ended on Friday (13), after continuing for nine days.

The protest was called off following discussions held earlier on Friday between representatives of the fishermen and President Anura Kumara Dissanayake.

The fishermen had launched the satyagraha urging the authorities to remove the ban on tractor-mounted winches, which they say are essential for ‘madel’ fishing operations and their livelihoods.

The incumbent Government imposed the ban on tractor-mounted winches for ‘madel’ fishing, citing the need to protect marine resources and prevent the destruction of coral reefs and fish breeding grounds. Authorities maintained that allowing heavy machinery on beaches would undermine long-term fisheries sustainability and accelerate coastal degradation.

In protest against the decision, fishermen from several parts of the island commenced a satyagraha in front of the Presidential Secretariat on 5 February, demanding that the ban be revoked.


A centuries-old tradition under pressure


Seine fishing, locally known as ‘madel,’ is one of the oldest and most culturally significant fishing practices in Sri Lanka, with a history spanning several centuries along the island’s western, southern, and north-western coasts. 

Traditionally, it was a highly communal activity, with large groups of fishermen manually hauling nets laid in a semi-circular pattern near the shore, relying on deep knowledge of tides, currents, and seasonal fish movements. Over time, particularly from the late 1970s onwards, labour shortages, rising costs, and efficiency pressures led to the gradual introduction of mechanised systems.

Mechanical winches replaced large hauling teams, and in some areas, tractors were used on wide beaches to provide greater pulling power. While these methods improved efficiency and safety, they also altered the social character of ‘madel’ fishing and raised concerns over overfishing, environmental damage, and reduced employment for traditional fishers. 

Today, mechanised and traditional methods coexist, highlighting ongoing tensions between cultural preservation and modern fishing practices.


Legal framework


In Sri Lanka, seine fishing is regulated primarily under the Fisheries and Aquatic Resources Act No.2 of 1996, together with coastal and environmental legislation. 

Section 4 of the act vests authority in the State to manage and regulate fisheries, while Section 13(1) empowers the minister to control fishing gear, methods, and operational areas. These provisions are particularly relevant to beach seining and mechanised hauling systems. 

Section 14 enables licensing of fishing operations, allowing authorities to restrict specific technologies where sustainability concerns arise, while Section 27 allows for special management areas, including traditional fishing grounds.

Where mechanised hauling affects shorelines, the Coast Conservation and Coastal Resource Management Act No.57 of 1981 (as amended) applies. 

Section 14 of the act requires permits for activities within the coastal zone, including the use of tractors or winches if they alter beach conditions, while Section 16 empowers authorities to prevent erosion and habitat destruction. 

In cases of broader environmental harm, provisions of the National Environmental Act may also be invoked. Together, these laws provide a framework that recognises traditional fishing while limiting practices that threaten ecosystems.


Environmentalists’ warning


Against this backdrop, environmentalists warn that the increasing use of tractor-driven beach seining is causing significant and often irreversible damage to Sri Lanka’s coastal ecosystems.

Centre for Environmental Justice (CEJ) Senior Adviser Hemantha Withanage said that mechanisation had fundamentally changed the environmental impact of what was once a low-impact fishing method.

“Traditional ‘madel’ fishing was carried out by people pulling nets by hand, and it was largely in harmony with coastal ecosystems,” he said. “But when tractors and heavy machinery are brought onto beaches, the impact is completely different. The sand becomes compacted, natural beach movement is disturbed, and erosion is accelerated.”

He explained that repeated tractor movement destroyed turtle nesting sites, disrupted coastal vegetation, and damaged shallow nearshore habitats that served as nursery grounds for juvenile fish.

“These beaches are not just empty stretches of sand. They are living ecosystems,” he said. “When tractors repeatedly move over them, eggs are crushed, organisms are killed, and the natural recovery of the coastline is prevented.”

Withanage warned that mechanised beach seining created cumulative damage with long-term consequences. “Short-term efficiency is being prioritised over long-term survival,” he noted. “By damaging nursery areas and destabilising beaches, we are undermining the very fish stocks that coastal communities depend on.”

He stressed that while traditional beach seining should not be blamed, tractor use must be regulated or prohibited, particularly in sensitive areas.

“This is not about opposing traditional fishing communities,” Withanage said, adding: “It is about preventing practices that destroy coastal ecosystems and ultimately harm both nature and livelihoods.”

Environmental groups have urged authorities to strictly enforce existing laws, warning that failure to act will accelerate coastal degradation, biodiversity loss, and climate vulnerability.


Livelihoods threatened 


Despite these concerns, fishermen from northern and north-western coastal districts argue that labour shortages threaten their livelihoods.

In Puttalam, Mohamed Riyaz (47), a fisherman with over two decades of experience, said manual hauling had become unworkable. 

“Earlier we could gather 40 or 50 people to pull a net,” he said. “Today, young people have left fishing or migrated for other work. We simply don’t have the labour. If tractors are banned without alternatives, our fishing will come to a complete stop.”

From Mannar, S. Antonyraj (52) echoed similar concerns. “People think we use tractors for convenience, but it’s about survival,” he said. “Even finding 15 workers is difficult now. The ban ignores ground realities and puts long-standing fishing communities at risk.”

In Mullaitivu, K. Sivakumar (39) said that labour shortages had worsened in the post-war period. “After years of hardship, many families have moved away from fishing,” he explained. “Without enough hands, hauling nets manually is impossible. Authorities must either allow limited mechanisation or provide practical solutions instead of blanket bans.”

Fishermen from these regions have called for policy adjustments that consider labour realities, while environmentalists insist that ecological limits must take precedence to ensure long-term sustainability.

In this context, Fisheries, Aquatic and Ocean Resources Minister Ramalingam Chandrasekar said on Friday (13) that the Government’s decision on the fishermen’s protest would be announced shortly.




More News..