News

Govt. has taken every step to bring perpetrators of Easter Attacks to justice: GL Pieris

The Minister of Education Prof. GL Peiris stated in Parliament today (07) that the government has made great strides in bringing to justice those responsible for the Easter attack, not just in name only.

The Minister made this observation while inaugurating the adjournment debate on the final report of the Presidential Commission of Inquiry into the Easter attacks on April 21, 2019.

The Minister said that the government has a responsibility to ensure that such a situation does not recur in the country.

The Minister said that the report also recommended that a special panel of judges be appointed to hear the cases related to the Easter attack without delay for weeks or months and that a decision be taken in consultation with the Chief Justice.

Regarding the Ministerial committee appointed on the Easter attack, the Minister said that this subcommittee was not appointed to conduct further investigations and make recommendations to the government. 

The Minister of Education further said, “If the law had been properly enforced in the Mawanella incident then, this catastrophe would not have taken place. If the political authorities had given orders that the arrested persons had been released and that there was a possibility of taking stern action against those police officers, action could have been taken.”

The Minister also requested the Attorney General to take immediate action in this regard if there are any cases that could be filed in this regard.