News

Karadeniya fire caused by cigarette butts

The fire that was reported at the Karadiyana Gargabe Dump in Piliyandala last night was caused by some cigarette butts and took place in the land adjoining the dump, according to authorities.

“It was a small fire and the Moratuwa & Mount Lavinia Fire brigades were at the scene to control and extinguish it. Also the fire took place in the land that’s adjoining the dump. This land is been used as an illegal dumping site and we have informed the relevant authorities as well as written to SLRDC to take a stern action on it”, Executive Director Waste Management Authority, Nalin Mannaperuma told The Morning.

When asked about what the safety measures they have taken to prevent unexpected fires in the future are, Mannepperuma added that they have installed fire extinguishing systems at the dump and also have a disaster management plan set up to control situations like this.