Programme implemented to control COVID-19 spread in Gampaha district
The Minister of Health Pavithra Wanniarachchi today (05) instructed health officials to expedite the implementation of a planned programme focusing on the Gampaha District and to take the necessary steps to implement the PCR testing services currently carried out in the laboratories 24 hours a day.
This was stated at a special discussion held today at the Health Ministry to outline the further steps to control the COVID-19 spread and strengthen the treatment of the virus in the Gampaha district.
Currently, several decisions have been taken to control the spread of the virus within the Gampaha District.
- Utilization of Nuwangoda Hospital and Iranavila COVID-19 Treatment Center to provide treatment services to infected persons in Gampaha District.
- Utilization of Gampaha Hospital to admit and test patients suspected to be infected with COVID-19.
- Taking action to carry out PCR testing of nearly 2000 employees of Divulapitiya Garment Factory in Gampaha District and their close associates as well as school children today.
- PCR inspection of the staff of the factories located in the Gampaha District.
- Taking steps to deploy a special team of officials from the Ministry of Health to monitor and strengthen the COVID-19 treatment services in hospitals in the Gampaha District.
- Increasing the number of PCR tests performed daily and providing the required safety clothing and equipment to the medical staff who perform such operations without any shortage.
The Minister of Health also pointed out that if a person shows any symptoms such as fever or cold, they can contact the 24-hour active “Suwaseriya” 1999 Health Advice Service for medical advice. In addition, the 1990 “Suwaseriya” ambulance service was operational 24 hours a day.
Secretary to the Ministry of Health Major General Dr. Sanjeewa Munasinghe, Acting Director General of Health Services Dr.S. Sridharan, Additional Secretary (Public Health Services) Dr. Lakshmi Somatunga, Additional Secretary (Development) Janaka Sri Chandragupta and many other officials of the Ministry were also present at this discussion.