News

SJB ‘curse’ protest to go ahead despite ban

The Samagi Jana Balawegaya (SJB) is set to proceed with a planned mass protest tomorrow (16), despite the recent ban on mass gatherings, SJB General Secretary Ranjith Madduma Bandara told a press conference recently.

“The gazette notification was issued in a hurry after we announced our plan to stage the protest on Tuesday. We will stage our protest strictly according to health guidelines. We have asked protesters to come with face masks and maintain necessary physical distance,” he said.

He also said that the United National Party (UNP) was permitted to stage its recent protest, while the SJB protest is being blocked.

The protest is against what it calls the “curse” of the current Government.

Last week, the Public Health Department of the Colombo Municipal Council (CMC) revoked the decision to grant approval for the SJB to hold a protest in Colombo at the Hyde Park grounds in Colombo 2.

Despite granting approval earlier to hold the meeting under strict health guidelines, the Public Health Department of the CMC has informed the SJB that it was revoking its decision.

The Department said that the approval has been revoked due to an increase in Covid-19 cases in Colombo at present.